variants: or less commonly Bradford Callery pear or Bradford callery pear
Definition of Bradford pear
: a widely planted ornamental deciduous tree that is a thornless and fruitless cultivar of the Callery pear (Pyrus calleryana) The major problem with Bradford pears is that its upright habit in youth produces a weak branch structure. Branches may split off as the tree ages. — The Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?