variants: or less commonly Bradford Callery pear or Bradford callery pear
Definition of Bradford pear
: a widely planted ornamental deciduous tree that is a thornless and fruitless cultivar of the Callery pear (Pyrus calleryana) The major problem with Bradford pears is that its upright habit in youth produces a weak branch structure. Branches may split off as the tree ages. — The Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana)
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game