variants: or less commonly bible-pounder
plural Bible-pounders also bible-pounders
Definition of Bible-pounder
: bible-thumper A typical God-fearing Bible-pounder who believes that money in the bank is a sign of God's approval.— Trevanian, Incident at Twenty-Mile, 1999 He wants to connect the kind of people that he represents—Evangelical Christians—but not necessarily the image of Evangelical Christians that you may have of some sort of fundamentalist Bible-pounder, those sorts of clichés from popular imagination.— Ron Elving, National Public Radio, 18 Aug. 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?