Definition of Betty lamp
: a lamp consisting of a shallow lidded metal vessel with a small spout for a coarse wick, fueled by tallow, grease, or oil, usually hung by a hook and chain, and used especially in the American colonies
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game