Definition of Barnard's Star
: a red dwarf star of the ninth magnitude that is located approximately six light years away in the constellation of Ophiuchus Such is the case with Barnard's Star. It is the fourth closest star to Earth at only 36 trillion miles away, yet you'll need a telescope to see it.— Tom Burns, Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch, 16 July 1995
Note: Barnard's Star is notable because it is one of the closest stars to the Sun. Only the Alpha Centauri system is closer.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game