Definition of Ophiuchus
: a large northern constellation that is visible between the constellations of Scutum and Hercules and that is represented by the figure of a man grasping a snake (the constellation Serpens) Thomas Greene of the University of Hawaii and Charles Lada of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory have studied five protostars in Ophiuchus, each about 100,000 years old. — Astronomy, September 1997
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game