\ ˈȯlˌ(d)liḵt, ˈäl-\
Definition of Auld Licht
: a member of one of those parties in the Scottish Secession churches, both Burgher and Antiburgher, that continued to hold to the principle of the connection between church and state in opposition to the voluntarism of the New Lichts
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game