\ ˈȯlˌ(d)liḵt, ˈäl- \
Definition of Auld Licht
: a member of one of those parties in the Scottish Secession churches, both Burgher and Antiburgher, that continued to hold to the principle of the connection between church and state in opposition to the voluntarism of the New Lichts
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game