Definition of Arkansas
1 river 1450 miles (2334 kilometers) long in the southwest central U.S. rising in central Colorado and flowing east and southeast through southern Kansas, northeastern Oklahoma, and Arkansas into the Mississippi River
2 state in the south central U.S. bisected by the Arkansas River; capital Little Rock area 53,187 square miles (137,754 square kilometers), population 2,915,918
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game