Ar·chi·lo·chi·an | \ ¦ärkə̇¦lōkēən\
Definition of Archilochian
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Archilochian (Entry 2 of 2)
: a verse form ascribed to Archilochus: such as
a : a line composed of a dactylic tetrapody followed by a trochaic tripody
— called also greater Archilochian
b : a dactylic tripody catalectic —sometimes called also lesser Archilochian
c : a dactylic tetrapody with spondee or trochee as the fourth foot
d : a dicolon composed of a complete prosodiac followed by an ithyphallic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?