An·acan·thi·ni | \ ˌanəˈkan(t)thəˌnī\
Definition of Anacanthini
: an order or suborder of teleost fishes having all the rays of the median and pelvic fins soft and jointed, the pelvic fins thoracic or jugular in position, and the air bladder, when present, usually without a duct, and comprising the codfishes, hakes, and their related forms and formerly sometimes including the flounders and soles
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game