Definition of American lion
1 : cougar sense 1
2 : an extinct large cat (Panthera leo atrox synonym Panthera atrox) known from Pleistocene deposits found in America that resembled but was larger than the closely related African lion (Panthera leo) Among them are the skull and other bones of a prehistoric American lion, a species that is believed to have been about one-third larger than present-day African lions …— Edward Wyatt, New York Times, 19 Feb. 2009
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?