Definition of African bee
1 : a honeybee native to Africa specifically : one (Apis melliferascutellata) native to sub-Saharan Africa that aggressively defends its hive and was introduced into Brazil in the 1950s where it subsequently hybridized with the European honeybee to produce Africanized bees Scientists wanted a bee that … could tolerate the tropical climate, like the African bee. — Elizabeth Fitzsimons, San Diego Union Tribune, 4 Oct. 2002
2 : africanized bee Southern California is beginning to see an increase of African bees, and beekeepers all over the state are on the front lines of defense …— Debbie Croft, Merced (California) Sun-Star, 24 Apr. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?