Definition of African American Vernacular English
: a nonstandard variety of English spoken by some African Americans Modern lifestyles that rely on cell phones and the Internet are referred to as sources of linguistic innovation, and rap and hip hop music are pointed out as illustrative of African American Vernacular English … — American Speech —abbreviation AAVE
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game