Ac·ti·nop·te·ryg·ii | \ ¦ak-tə-ˌnäp-tə-ˈri-jē-ˌī\
Definition of Actinopterygii
in many classifications
: a subclass or other division of Teleostomi comprising fishes having the projecting part of the paired fins supported only by dermal rays and being coextensive with the Teleostomi excluding the Choanichthyes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game