Definition of Achernar
: a blue star with an apparent magnitude of about 0.50 that is the brightest star in the constellation Eridanus Winding its way across the southern horizon is the lesser-known constellation Eridanus, also known as the “River Eridanus.” Ptolemy assigned 38 stars to this constellation, of which Achernar, located at the end of the “river,” is the ninth brightest star in the sky. — Denver Post, 15 Feb. 1996
— called also Alpha Eridani
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?