sure·ly adverb \ˈshu̇r-lē, especially Southern ˈshȯr-\
: in a confident way
: without a doubt
—used in negative statements to show surprise that something could be true
: in a sure manner:
a archaic : without danger or risk of injury or loss : safely
b (1) : with assurance : confidently <answered quickly and surely> (2) : without doubt : certainly <they will surely be heard from in the future — R. J. Lifton>
: indeed, really —often used as an intensive <you surely don't believe that>
See Usage Discussion at 2sure
Examples of SURELY
- She answered quickly and surely.
- He will surely be missed.
- This is surely the best dessert you have ever made.
- Surely you must admit that it was a good decision.
First Known Use of SURELY
Related to SURELY
- all right, alright, assuredly, certainly, clearly, definitely, doubtless, easily, forsooth, hands down, inarguably, incontestably, incontrovertibly, indisputably, plainly, really, so, sure, indeed, truly, unarguably, undeniably, undoubtedly, unquestionably
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up surely? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).