: insofar as seems reasonably true, factual, or to be expected : without much doubt <is probably happy> <it will probably rain>
Examples of PROBABLY
- It will probably rain today.
- They will probably be here soon.
- It was probably the best concert I've ever been to.
- There were probably about 150 people at the wedding.
- “Are you going to the picnic?” “Probably.”
- “Can you finish painting the room today?” “Probably not.”
- The impact probably added all but the last few percent of Earth's mass and set the stage for Earth's and the Moon's subsequent evolution. —Mark Wilson, Physics Today, February 2008
- It was no secret that McKay preferred the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat, and that, along with his innocent optimism and snark-free sincerity, probably makes him hopelessly old-fashioned. —Richard Hoffer, Sports Illustrated, 16 June 2008
- But what these newly inaugurated gym rats probably don't know is that besides buffing up their bodies for summer, they're also buffing up their brains. —Christen Brownlee, Science News, 25 Feb. 2006
Origin of PROBABLY
First Known Use: 1613
Learn More About PROBABLY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up probably? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).