Medical Definition of stop codon
: a genetic codon in messenger RNA that signals the termination of protein synthesis during translation Each codon stands for one of the 20 amino acids that make up proteins or for one of three stop codons that signal the end of a protein chain.— Tina Hesman, Science News, 3 June 2000
— called also termination codon— compare start codon
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?