Medical Definition of start codon
: a genetic codon in messenger RNA that stimulates the binding of a transfer RNA which starts protein synthesis … the AUG codon for methionine functions as the start codon in the vast majority of mRNAs. — Harvey Lodish et al., Molecular Cell Biology, 6th edition, 2007
— called also initiation codon— compare stop codon
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game