Medical Definition of sensory neuron
: a neuron that transmits nerve impulses from a sense organ towards the central nervous system The activity of a neuron—whether it's a sensory neuron receiving information from the outside world or an interneuron integrating it or a motor neuron provoking muscles into action—is not so much a step-by-step series of events as a kind of symphony of rising and falling cellular activities …— Stephen S. Hall, Science 85, May 1985 In mammals, olfactory sensory neurons … are located within the olfactory epithelium of the nasal cavity— Peter Mombaerts, Science, 22 Oct. 1999 — compare interneuron, motor neuron
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game