Medical Definition of promastigote
: the motile, elongated, extracellular form in the life cycle of some protozoans (family Trypanosomatidae, and especially genus Leishmania) that is characterized by a single anterior flagellum and no undulating membrane In the sandfly gut the amastigotes leave the host cell, transform into promastigotes, and replicate extracellularly.— David J. Wyler and Anthony R. Mattia, The New England Journal of Medicine, 17 Mar. 1994
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game