Medical Definition of prodrug
: a pharmacologically inactive substance that is the modified form of a pharmacologically active drug to which it is converted (as by enzymatic action) in the body One source of the variability is the metabolism of clopidogrel, which is a prodrug requiring biotransformation to generate its active metabolite.— Jessica L. Mega et al., The Journal of the American Medical Association, 27 Oct. 2010
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game