Medical Definition of phosphatidylinositol
: an acidic phospholipid that contains an inositol attached to the phosphate group of phosphatidic acid and is found especially in cell membranes where it is precursor to several substances that mediate cellular activity as second messengers The parent phospholipid, phosphatidylinositol, can modulate the activity of several membrane-bound enzymes, including sodium-potassium adenosine triphosphatase, and mediate transmembrane signaling processes.— Bruce J. Holub, The New England Journal of Medicine, 7 May 1992
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game