Medical Definition of occipital protuberance
: either of two prominences on the occipital bone:
a : a prominence on the outer surface of the occipital bone midway between the upper border and the foramen magnum that with the external occipital crest gives attachment to the ligamentum nuchae
— called also external occipital protuberance, inion
b : a prominence similarly situated on the inner surface of the occipital bone
— called also internal occipital protuberance
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game