Medical Definition of neurolysis
1a : the breaking down of nervous tissue (as from disease or injury)
b : destruction of nervous tissue (as by the use of chemicals or radio frequencies) to temporarily or permanently block nerve pathways especially to relieve pain or spasticity phenolic neurolysis of the celiac plexus to treat intractable pancreatic cancer pain
2 : the surgical operation of freeing a nerve from perineural adhesions
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game