Medical Definition of lymphoid leukosis
: a neoplastic disease of chickens that is caused by a retrovirus (species Avian leukosis virus of the genus Alpharetrovirus) and is characterized by the formation of nodular or diffuse lymphoid tumors composed mostly of B cells and occurring especially in the bursa of Fabricius, liver, and spleen and sometimes in the kidneys and gonads Chickens with lymphoid leukosis show nonspecific clinical signs including inappetence, weakness, diarrhea, dehydration, and emaciation. — The Merck Veterinary Manual, 9th edition, 2005 — see avian leukosis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game