Medical Definition of avian leukosis
: any of a group of diseases (as lymphoid leukosis) of poultry that are caused by strains of a retrovirus (species Avian leukosis virus of the genus Alpharetrovirus), that involve disturbed blood formation, and that are distinguished individually by special manifestations (as paralysis, tumor formation, leukemia, and eye damage)
— called also avian leukosis complex
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game