Medical Definition of linaclotide
: a drug C59H79N15O21S6 that is taken orally to relieve symptoms of constipation of unknown cause and constipation associated with irritable bowel syndrome and that acts by binding to guanylate cyclase receptors to increase intestinal secretions, decrease abdominal pain, and accelerate the movement of waste through the intestines
Note: Linaclotide is marketed under the trademark Linzess.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game