Medical Definition of lateral funiculus
: a longitudinal division on each side of the spinal cord comprising white matter between the dorsal and ventral roots In upper cervical segments, nerve rootlets emerge through each lateral funiculus to form the spinal accessory nerve which ascends the vertebral canal lateral to the spinal cord and enters the posterior cranial fossa via the foramen magnum. — Gray's Anatomy, 39th edition, 2005 — compare posterior funiculus, ventral funiculus
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game