Medical Definition of ketoacidosis
: acidosis resulting from increased levels of ketone bodies in the blood
Note: Ketoacidosis occurs most commonly as a complication of diabetes but may occur from other causes (such as starvation).With each word from his parched mouth came an unpleasant, fruity scent of acetone, the hallmark of diabetic ketoacidosis, which occurs when the body does not have enough insulin to obtain the energy it needs.— Elisabeth Rosenthal, Discover, March 1991
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game