irritant contact dermatitisnoun
Medical Definition of irritant contact dermatitis
: inflammation of the skin that follows direct contact of an irritant (such as soap, acid, or fiberglass) with the skin and that is typically marked by a burning, red rash often with dry scales, crusting, and pustules Red, scaly skin patches are typical symptoms of irritant contact dermatitis. The redness can show up within minutes of contact or it can take days to become noticeable.— Allen Douma, The Chicago Tribune, 9 Aug. 2000 — compare allergic contact dermatitis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game