allergic contact dermatitisnoun
Medical Definition of allergic contact dermatitis
: an allergic response following direct contact of an allergen (such as latex, nickel, or poison ivy) with the skin that is typically marked by an itchy red rash often accompanied by swelling and watery blisters
Note: Symptoms of allergic contact dermatitis usually appear hours or days following direct contact with the allergen.—abbreviation ACD — compare irritant contact dermatitis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game