Medical Definition of interleukin-6
: an interleukin that is produced by various cells (as macrophages, fibroblasts, T cells, and tumor cells) and that acts as a pyrogen, induces maturation of B cells and growth of myeloma cells, activates and induces proliferation of T cells, and stimulates synthesis of plasma proteins (as fibrinogen) —abbreviation IL-6
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?