Medical Definition of hypostatic
1a of a gene : exhibiting hypostasis in the presence of a corresponding epistatic gene
b of a hereditary character : suppressed by epistasis : appearing recessive to another character due to mediation by a hypostatic gene
2 : depending on or due to hypostasis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?