Medical Definition of hyomandibular
(Entry 1 of 2)
: of or derived from the hyoid arch and mandible specifically : being or relating to the dorsal segment of the hyoid arch
Medical Definition of hyomandibular (Entry 2 of 2)
: a bone or cartilage derived from the dorsal hyoid arch that is part of the articulating mechanism of the lower jaw in fishes and forms the columella or stapes of the ear of higher vertebrates
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game