Medical Definition of fowl pox
: either of two forms of a disease occurring worldwide especially in chickens and turkeys that is caused by a poxvirus (species Fowlpox virus of the genus Avipoxvirus) transmitted by contact or by insect vectors:
a : a cutaneous form marked by proliferating lesions especially on skin lacking feathers that progress to pustules, warty growths, and scabs
— called also sorehead
b : a more serious diphtheritic form occurring as cheesy lesions of the mucous membranes of the mouth, throat, and eyes that sometimes coalesce into a false membrane
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game