experimental allergic encephalomyelitisnoun
variants: or experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis
Medical Definition of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis
: an inflammatory autoimmune disease of the brain and spinal cord that has been induced in laboratory animals and especially mice by injecting them with diseased tissue from affected animals or with myelin basic protein and that is used as an animal model in studying human multiple sclerosis and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis Effectiveness in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis has been considered a prerequisite, but many therapies that are effective in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis are not useful in patients with multiple sclerosis.— Richard A. Rudick et al., The New England Journal of Medicine, 27 Nov. 1997 —abbreviation EAE
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?