acute disseminated encephalomyelitisnoun
Medical Definition of acute disseminated encephalomyelitis
: a neurological condition that is marked by inflammation of the brain and spinal cord, is of sudden onset with variable symptoms (such as fever, headache, nausea, lethargy, weakness and seizures), and is thought to be the result of an immune response following infectious illness (as with the measles) or vaccination (as with the rabies vaccine)
Note: Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis typically affects children and resembles multiple sclerosis in symptoms and in the presence of myelin sheath damage. Complete recovery is possible but may take weeks or months.—abbreviation ADEM
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game