east coast fevernoun
Medical Definition of east coast fever
: an acute highly fatal febrile disease of cattle especially of eastern and southern Africa that is caused by a protozoan of the genus Theileria (T. parva) transmitted by ticks especially of the genera Rhipicephalus and Hyalomma and is marked by intense fever, labored breathing, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, swelling of the lymph nodes, and generalized weakness and emaciation
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game