variants: or dabigatran etexilate \ -i-ˈtek-sə-ˌlāt \ also dabigatran etexilate mesylate
Medical Definition of dabigatran
: an anticoagulant drug C34H41N7O5·CH4O3S that inhibits the action of thrombin and is administered orally to reduce the risk of stroke associated with atrial fibrillation in the absence of heart valve disease and to treat or prevent deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
Note: Dabigatran is marketed under the trademark Pradaxa.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game