variants: or dabigatran etexilate \ -i-ˈtek-sə-ˌlāt \ also dabigatran etexilate mesylate
Medical Definition of dabigatran
: an anticoagulant drug C34H41N7O5·CH4O3S that inhibits the action of thrombin and is administered orally to reduce the risk of stroke associated with atrial fibrillation in the absence of heart valve disease and to treat or prevent deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
Note: Dabigatran is marketed under the trademark Pradaxa.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game