Medical Definition of chlamydiosis
: an infection or disease caused by bacteria of the family Chlamydiaceae: such as
a or avian chlamydiosis : psittacosis Around Washington, D.C., this spring there was an outbreak of avian chlamydiosis, a bacterial infection that is spread through contaminated droppings.— Eirik Blom, Bird Watcher's Digest, September/October 1994
b : feline pneumonitis Chlamydiosis is a painful eye inflammation that can also cause sneezing and a nasal discharge. The vaccine doesn't protect cats from infection, but can decrease the severity of the disease if a cat becomes infected.— Rhonda Owem, The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, 23 Nov. 2005
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?