Medical Definition of check ligament
2 : either of two expansions of the sheaths of rectus muscles of the eye each of which probably restrains the activity of the muscle with which it is associated:
a : an expansion of the sheath of the lateral rectus that is attached to the lacrimal bone
— called also lateral check ligament
b : an expansion of the sheath of the medial rectus that is attached to the zygomatic bone
— called also medial check ligament
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game