Medical Definition of alar ligament
1 : either of a pair of strong rounded fibrous cords of which one arises on each side of the cranial part of the dens, passes obliquely and laterally upward, and inserts on the medial side of a condyle of the occipital bone
— called also check ligament— see apical ligament of the dens
2 : either of two folds of the synovial membrane of the knee that resemble fringes
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game