Medical Definition of cardiac glycoside
: any of several glycosides (such as digitoxin or ouabain) occurring typically in plants (such as the foxglove or squill) and acting on the heart to increase the force and rate of myocardial contraction Although two centuries of anecdotal clinical evidence support the use of cardiac glycosides for the treatment of heart failure, controversy has surrounded their efficacy and appropriate indications.— Thomas W. Smith, The New England Journal of Medicine, 1 July 1993
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?