Medical Definition of bovine somatotropin
1 : a growth hormone of cows produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates growth in young animals and milk production in adult females —abbreviation bST, BST
2 : bovine growth hormone sense 2 —abbreviation bST, BST
Note: The abbreviations rbST and rBST are also used to indicate the genetically engineered recombinant form.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game