Medical Definition of binding site
: a region on a molecule or cell surface at which the combining of chemical substances takes place Proteins called transcription factors bind to these short DNA strings—transcription factor binding sites—to regulate the production of messenger RNA and thus the synthesis of proteins.— Leonid Kruglyak and David L. Stern, Science, 10 Aug. 2007
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game