Medical Definition of bejel
: a disease that is endemic chiefly in children of dry hot regions of northern Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, is marked by bone and skin lesions, and is caused by a spirochete of the genus Treponema (T. endemicum) closely related to the causative agent of syphilis
— called also endemic syphilis
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game