Medical Definition of bacteroides
1 capitalized : a genus of gram-negative anaerobic bacteria that belong to the family Bacteroidaceae, that have rounded ends, produce no endospores and no pigment, and that occur usually in the normal intestinal flora
2 plural bacteroides : a bacterium of the genus Bacteroides or of a closely related genus
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game