medical Definition of axonal
- axonal growth
- diffuse axonal injury
- axonal transport of organelles
- They have struggled to identify the signals responsible for axonal guidance—for steering the tender and tentative axon of a young nerve cell through the pandemonium of the growing brain and over to its appropriate target.
- —Natalie Angier, The New York Times, 16 Aug. 1994
- Intriguingly, many of the axonally expressed ligands found to influence myelination to date have been inhibitory, preventing oligodendrocyte differentiation and/or myelination.
- —Ben Emery, Science, 5 Nov. 2010