variants: or anti-hysteric
Medical Definition of antihysteric
: counteracting or preventing hysteria Hot water extract of the flower and leaf [of the neem tree] is taken orally as an antihysteric remedy, and is used externally to treat wounds.— Ivan A. Ross, Medicinal Plants of the World, 2001
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game