Medical Definition of antifilarial
: tending to destroy filarial worms or to inhibit their growth By 1978, the Merck pharmaceutical laboratories had isolated an effective antifilarial antibiotic, called ivermectin, which was extracted from a species of fungus.— Stanley M. Aronson, The Providence (Rhode Island) Journal-Bulletin, 23 Oct. 2000 also : produced in response to filarial infection … 11% of U.S. service personnel who were stationed in filariasis-endemic regions of South Vietnam had antifilarial antibodies. — Wayne Melrose and Peter A. Leggat, Military Medicine, July 2005
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game