medical Definition of antifilarial
- By 1978, the Merck pharmaceutical laboratories had isolated an effective antifilarial antibiotic, called ivermectin, which was extracted from a species of fungus.
- —Stanley M. Aronson, The Providence (Rhode Island) Journal-Bulletin, 23 Oct. 2000
- … 11% of U.S. service personnel who were stationed in filariasis-endemic regions of South Vietnam had antifilarial antibodies.
- —Wayne Melrose and Peter A. Leggat, Military Medicine, July 2005
- … an attempt to develop ideal antifilarials capable of eliminating both the microfilariae and adult worms with no toxic effect on the host …
- —C. R. Pfaltz et al., Progress in Drug Research, 1990