Medical Definition of antifilarial
: tending to destroy filarial worms or to inhibit their growth By 1978, the Merck pharmaceutical laboratories had isolated an effective antifilarial antibiotic, called ivermectin, which was extracted from a species of fungus.— Stanley M. Aronson, The Providence (Rhode Island) Journal-Bulletin, 23 Oct. 2000 also : produced in response to filarial infection … 11% of U.S. service personnel who were stationed in filariasis-endemic regions of South Vietnam had antifilarial antibodies. — Wayne Melrose and Peter A. Leggat, Military Medicine, July 2005
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game